Wisdom Teeth Removal Antioch California
Wisdom Teeth Removal is the most common surgical procedure carried out to remove one or more wisdom teeth. It is grown at the back of your gums and is the last teeth that come through. Many people have four wisdom teeth one in each corner. Wisdom teeth usually erupt from the gums during the late teens or early twenties. The other 28 adult teeth are perfectly grown in their place, due to this there is no there enough room in the mouth for the wisdom teeth to grow properly. Due to the lack of space wisdom teeth emerge partially or get stuck. Wisdom teeth that grow in this way are also known as Impacted Wisdom teeth.
What are Wisdom Teeth?
Wisdom teeth are also called as the third molar it appears in young adults between the age of 17 and 21. Due to most of the mouths are too small for four more teeth wisdom teeth often need to be removed. This removal of wisdom teeth process is known as extraction. It needs to be done as soon as they erupt from the surface.
When Wisdom Teeth should be removed?
This below steps indicates that wisdom teeth have been erupted and should be removed before they cause serious problems. The symptoms for wisdom teeth are:
- Facial Swelling
- Bad Breath
- Bleeding Gums
- Difficulty in opening your mouth
- Unpleasant taste in your mouth
- Infection in the mouth
The above symptoms usually occur when the teeth have partly surfaced and have no room in the mouth to come out completely. If the wisdom teeth are causing problems then our dentist will advise to remove them right away. As early removal helps to prevent problems like the impacted tooth causes the root of the second molar to resorb.
Why wisdom teeth should be removed?
Wisdom teeth shouldn't usually need to be removed if they are not causing any problems. Because it might carry the risk of complications. But when the wisdom teeth are impacted or haven't fully broken through the surface of gum can cause dental problems. Due to this impacted teeth, food gets trapped around the edge of the wisdom teeth causing a build-up of plaque which leads to tooth decay, gum disease, cellulitis, and abscess. At this moment wisdom teeth removal is usually recommended. Our Dentist follows nationally approved guidelines for the removal of Wisdom Teeth in Antioch CA.
What to Expect During Surgery:
Our Oral Surgeon Dr. Shirani performs Wisdom Teeth Removal in Antioch CA. Below are the steps that will be followed:
- Selection of Sedation: Usually, the surgery will take place for up to 45 minutes and we provide anesthesia so that our patients won't feel pain during the removal. We provide anesthesias like General anesthesia, Local anesthesia, and IV sedation.
- Numbing and Imaging: After the selection of anesthesia, our dentist starts numbing the wisdom teeth and their surrounding tissues with local anesthesia. X-rays of your wisdom teeth are taken at this point.
- Tissue and Bone Removal: The dentist begins the procedure by removing gum tissue which covers the area where the wisdom teeth are located. If in case the wisdom teeth are impacted an incision is made to access the tooth and then push it out with a surgical instrument until the tooth is visible.
If the impacted wisdom tooth is fully or partially covered in the bone then a high-speed handpiece is used to drill and remove the bone covering the tooth. Once the wisdom tooth gets erupt into your mouth our dentist will loosen the connective tissue from around the wisdom teeth.
- Loosening and Removal: When the impacted wisdom teeth get visible our dentist uses various surgical instruments to loosen the wisdom tooth from any connective tissue. Once the wisdom tooth is loosened it is removed with the help of surgical instruments specially designed to remove the tooth fully.
- Stitches: After completely removing the wisdom teeth our dentist adds stitches to close up the area. These procedures are necessary when impacted wisdom teeth are removed as the patient will recover better when stitches are placed. Our Dentist in Antioch CA will also provide gauze to bite down to help blood clot in the area.
For 24 Hours after the extraction of your wisdom teeth, one should avoid:
- Rinsing your mouth out with the liquid
- Drinking hot liquids such as tea or soup
- Strenuous physical activity
It's also important to closely follow the post-operative instructions you receive from our dentist Dr. Shirani particularly during the first seven to ten days.
For more information on wisdom teeth removal call us at 925-281-1938 and schedule an appointment with our Dentist in Antioch CA. Our office serves all communities including Pittsburg CA, Brentwood CA, and Discovery Bay CA.